Goodmorning Baltimore!

Monday, November 3, 2008

So before the Fire-drama -

I scooted up to Baltimore to see My Love - My Life. I thought I was getting good at freeways, but unfortunately I took a wrong turn that cost me an extra 25 minutes. But getting there made it all worthwhile. I got to sit in on his quartet practice and grade papers to beautiful music. Then we got some dinner and cooked it up at the apartment.

We went of a few drinks at Balvedeare, which is this cool Gothic style building around the corner from his apartment. It was Halloween night and everyone was partying. The band was dressed as the Wizard of Oz, the lead singer was Dorothy and he looked as though he enjoyed every minute of it. Some costumes were lame, others, like the Star Wars crew were amazing, as they entered the bar with light sabers ablaze.

On the street we saw some hidious drags, but my favorite (to laugh at) were some real GAYshas. HAHAHAHA! I won't tell (brag) about the rest of that evening.

We got to New Hope church in Fulton and it was really cool (but we got there 15 minutes before the end) ... But it was really cool .. ummm.

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing with Jimmy David and Joy. Haystacks and eventually Cupcakes at some cool boutiquey shop.

Preston played a concert in a Synagogue for Baltimore Chamber Orchestra which went well. The best part was that they played the work of some contemporary composers, Matthew Quayle and Jonathon Leshnoff. The Quayle was nice but as Preston said - it was a bit too much of a quote of Barber's Adagio for Stings, but the interesting thing was that this guy "Mr. Smith" from the Fauxharmonic Orchestra has this wii that he was using to conduct a computerised orchestra.

Ok well.. it wasn't interesting, after about a minute it was dead set borning. There was no vibrato and it was clear that even if he really can conduct (and I wouldn't know) the orchestra lacked any kind of warmth, depth ... dare I say soul. Well it was a computer so of course it didn't have a soul, so case in point - thumbs down.

BCO came out and performed the same Adagio and it was immeasurably better.

Anyway here's another cool pic of My Love, My Life - it's from the weekend before but it's real cute. And he is so talented, my chest is all puffed up and proud.

0 comments: